Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Grana Padano: A Pesto-Perfect Cheese

Last weekend, I decided it was time to bushwack the basil growing on my patio and make pesto for the neighbors. I had everything I needed – garlic, pine nuts, good olive oil – but no cheese, except for an expensive sliver of Parmigiano Reggiano that I keep in the back of the fridge to drizzle with truffle honey when I need a mood-changer. For making pesto, I didn’t want spend $30/lb, so I turned to Grana Padano, which costs a third of the price and still tastes like joy itself.

Grana Padano looks a lot like Parm. It’s dry and crumbly with a fruity smell and golden color. What’s the difference? To read on, please click here.


Full disclosure: This post is part of a series I'm writing for Di Bruno Bros., one of my fave cheese haunts in Philly. The deal is, I get paid to guest-blog on the store's site (dibruno.blogspot.com) on Wednesdays. Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment