Friday, June 24, 2011

Goat: Four Courses at Fork


IMG_6125

Look at these two cuties. They’re Bruce Weinstein (right) and Mark Scarbrough, the authors of 18 cookbooks, including my latest fave, Goat: Meat, Milk, Cheese. On Friday, they descended from the Berkshires to eat and greet at Fork, where Chef Terence Feury took on an all-goat challenge. Four courses. Goat, goat, goat, goat.

IMG_6141

You may recall that two weeks ago, I attempted a similar feat. I met toughness and fatigue, but it was great fun. My friends have heard me gush about Goat, and so they joined me for dinner out. Party of seven. What a treat.

IMG_6135

“I always say that goat tastes like a cross between pork and dark meat on a turkey,” Weinstein said as we tucked into our beautiful braise – a succulent round of rolled goat meat, served on a bed of bitter greens.

IMG_6159

Bruce’s description was perfect. The meat was buttery, tender as turkey, but the texture called to mind roast pork. (Pork+Turkey=Porkey?) The flavor wasn’t the least bit gamy. In fact, if I didn’t know better, I would have bet both my arms that I was eating pulled pork.

IMG_6176


Why eat goat? According to Weinstein and Scarbrough, most people do. In fact, 70% of the red meat eaten in the world comes from goat. It’s lean and healthy, and the same goes for goat milk/cheese – it’s much easier to digest than cow’s milk, and it has 13% more calcium and 137% more potassium.

IMG_6134

At Fork, Chef Feury made a beautiful soft goat cheese to top some gnocchi. But the best course of all was the goat yogurt panacotta. Gorgeous. Light as cloud cover.

IMG_6179

Have you ever eaten goat in a restaurant? Or do you cook with goat’s milk or goat meat? Do tell. Turns out I'm not just a goat-cheese lover. I love it snout-to-tail as well.

1 comment:

  1. I do curried goat at home, when I can get it. Usually as "chunks" at the local ShopRite. And I've had goat several times at Sapori in Collinswood, NJ ... just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete